- Tandem Flights
Posted by Jayson on February 14, 2013 - 10:23pm
Winter flying escape to the island of Oahu
And then, the rain returned with some strong winds, and it was about a week before the sun came back (with any consistency), bringing with it some rare NW winds. Off to the far end of the island we went and a small gaggle of us scored special flights out past Dillingham, soaring over and beyond Ka'ena Point.
Posted by Jayson on December 18, 2012 - 7:52pm in
After seeing winds in the W 90km/h range yesterday morning along the Dallas waterfront, I was quite surprised to see WSW 19km/h this morning. A quick text to Paul and it wasn't long afterwards that I received an affirmative text back:
I got down there before 1pm and Paul was in the air, albeit not for too much longer. It was still WSW and on the verge of being a bit too light for soaring when the wind lulled.
Ian was there as well and he kited but never quite made it into the air (granted, the beach wasn't on the invitingly-large size if you didn't manage to top land).
With Paul back on the ground, I decided to give my AIRCROSS U-Cross a try as it hadn't been flown since late August in Italy. Hard to believe it had been that long.
The wind had picked up but there wasn't as much lift as I'd expected as I scratched down the ridge, working pockets when they presented themselves - at times actually gaining 40+ feet. Even though the wind was decidedly west-southwest, I still maintained good ground speed in both east and west directions. Odd.
I flew as far down as the east bowl and made a run back to Clover Point where I yelled down to Hannah a few times until she recognized it was me - at which point I was able to take her for an 'air-walk' - all the way down to Moss Street and back. Lazy dog walking, I know, but she gets a good work-out out of the deal (and the other dog walkers enjoy the spectacle).
Paul got airborne again but it started turning and lightening again so our time in the air together was, unfortunately, fairly short.
Posted by Jayson on December 3, 2012 - 11:46am
"This summer I was looking into trying to take some time off in November and go to Australia with a friend of mine when I noticed that Jorge (Oahu pilot) had posted on windlines.net about a tour he was helping to guide in Chile. The dates lined up perfectly with the time I could get off, so I told my friend he was getting ditched (it worked out fine as he and a few others had a great time touring Peru).
Iquique is located near the north end of Chile in the Atacama desert, the driest desert in the world where it averages less than 1mm of rain per year. NASA has taken their Mars rovers into the dunes to test them and has gotten similar results to the soil on Mars.
The tour offers a $200 refund for every day that you cannot fly due to weather conditions and, in the 10years (+) of tours, they have not had to pay any out. Spring seems to provide some of the best wind direction/strength, though I’m told they only have about 7 unflyable days a year (strong winds in the summer).
Posted by Jayson on October 17, 2012 - 10:55pm in
I first flew Duncan's Mt Prevost in October of 2000 having just arrived back to the island after my first year of flying down in Australia. The thermalling conditions were wonderful, albeit chilly.
Typically, the fire hazard threat is over by the first or second weekend in September, however, this year it didn't happen until a few days ago - about a month later than normal.
The rain finally came and then a surprise break with some sun in the forecast today along with the requisite south winds and Prevost was back in business!
For some various work-related reasons, only three pilots were able to take advantage of the day: Lee, Rob, and Kris. First flights were had from West launch while second and third flights were from Middle launch. Kris (aka Shrek) keep things exciting on launch and then had a nice, long thermalling flight to end the day, getting above launch height and linking in a good number of 360s.
Rob dialed in his landings and Lee flew his small Swing ASTRAL - putting it to good use, working the lift in the usual places - complete with some good finds near the LZ and out over the golf course.
Good job on the hat trick boys!
Looks like the rain is set to return tomorrow.
Posted by Jayson on September 7, 2012 - 7:55am
That night we all had a nice sleddy from Mara. The LZ showed about 15-20km winds when we checked before heading up to launch. As we launched, the winds picked up from the north and we had between 3-6 km of penetration above the LZ. We all got to use our speed system and check adjustment, function and start to better understand what it can do for you.
As we landed the wind continued to pick up. Rob was the last to launch and 30 seconds after he launched, we felt rain on our face and the wind stared gusting stronger. Jayson coached him to use big ears and his speed system to get him down into the valley to land. The wind was strong at this point and Rob was at the back of the field, not penetrating at all and having a problem with his speed bar. He was low over the tall trees in the back of the field not able to get in front of them so he tried to enter the field behind the desired LZ. The rotor shadow was larger then he anticipated and his glider had a 50%+ collapse. He dropped about 20 feet and spun 180 degrees before he got a partial inflation back and landed safely in the field....Good lesson...Rotor is real and it is bigger then you expect. The shadow changes with the wind speed, and it is scary if you are caught in it.
That called for a few beers, so we obliged.
Posted by Jayson on September 1, 2012 - 10:31pm in
First Day Flights from Mara
After Rob had his fill of kiting, we grabbed some lunch in Vernon, wrote some exams back at the guesthouse, and then made for Mara Lake. Wind on the now-excellent launch was crossing from the south but everyone launched well, and enjoyed the buoyant late afternoon flights down to the valley floor below. The wind had picked up from the north on the ground which made for some new experiences, complete with Rob's tangible experience of rotor.
Everyone landed safe and they are all excited for what tomorrow may bring.
Posted by Jayson on July 2, 2012 - 4:30pm
Day 2: Rained out
Day 3: Coopers and Mara - Buoyant, smooth air with some standard Lumby Valley morning clouds forming and dissipating. Chris, Kris, Rob, Hans, and Lee all flew. Vancouver Island export, Simon, joined in for his first flight at Coopers before heading back to his new home turf of Salmon Arm. Good to see you Simon!
After the last pilot was safely in the valley, some strong south thermals starting ripping through launch and I was doubtful that we'd get another flight in.
However, we decided to go have a look and conditions were even worse than expected: south, east, straight, and even the odd west cycle. A few visitors had multiple aborts before getting airborne and rocketing up over the valley. Lee picked a relatively-good cycle and flew over towards the Saddle before happily heading for Randy's. No one else flew. The forecast was for possible thundershowers but they didn't appear to be manifesting so, after a lunch break, we decided to head Mara Lake way and, if anything else, see the results of last week's severe flooding. The highway north of the LZ was still closed but the LZ itself wasn't under water so up we went!
Strong but consistent cycles were blowing through on launch, albeit with a left (south) cross to them. It has to be mentioned that the Mara launch looks amazing! Kudos to Doug Nitchie and crew for all the hard work in making this site what it is today. Pilots will be benefitting for years to come! After a bit of patience, the cycles calmed enough for Lee and then Hans to launch, followed later by Kris, Chris, and Rob. I went last with Monica on tandem and we all had 20mins plus pre-sunset flights, easily making it to the LZ with plenty of height to spare. Ian and Mark: I will post some pics of your LZ from last year. It's completely submerged now!
Posted by Jayson on June 29, 2012 - 10:02pm in
As per usual, low cloud greeted us early in the morning in Lumby and everyone had 2 flights in light wind - with some thermal action on the second flight. I flew on the second run and worked many strong, but short-lived thermals all over and below launch and the two gullies to the north, before finally securing a climb up to base, eventually flying down Lumby Ridge and then over to the Saddle before coming back to Randy's to help with landings on the third flights.
We then took a long lunch break, hoping that the wind would swing and be good for the Saddle. It never happened. Instead, we ventured back up Cooper's (with Chris who'd just arrived) and everyone got another flight in some smooth NE flow.
Four flights each for Lee, Rob, and Kris.
Forecast looks bleak for tomorrow but then good for the rest of the long weekend!
Posted by Jayson on June 27, 2012 - 7:30pm in
This past Sunday a large group of flying hopefuls descended upon, and then ascended from, our Duncan rock. Roll call: Bev (who had her longest flight to date), Johnny (who's he you might ask? well, he's back and he had his best Prevost flight ever!), Andrew (lucky #13 out of the way with a 20min first solo at this site), Kris (a little wandering, but he put it together at the end), Cal (getting more than his money's worth out of his old Airwave ship with multiple trips high over launch), Greg (nice to see the new Dad back in the saddle), Ian (two flights - the second one testing the limits of strong wind and rough thermals), Pierre (also two flights - he was wind dummy on the first run and made up for it on the second), and, finally, Maurice (who elected to go for an instructional tandem flight with me - complete with a low save, a strong climb up to 3500' over launch, multiple spiral dives high above the LZ, pitch control, spiral entries and exits, wingovers, B-line stalls (futile attempts), etc.
Posted by Jayson on May 30, 2012 - 9:26am in
Wonderful Day at our local mountain
Overall, yesterday was a pretty special day at Mt Prevost for most pilots who made it out. It was supposed to be cloudy with light south wind so it looked like a perfect student day - and I tried to rally the troops accordingly.
As for students, only Chris and Kris (K-ris we'll call him) could make. Otherwise, the usual suspects Ian, Bev, Maurice, Rick, and Lee shuffled their days and were able to join in (the forecast for the rest of the week looks dismal).
We started a bit earlier than normal and I'd hoped to get multiple, short student flights in, however, the wind was west in the LZ and on launch and Lee (as he kindly does) took to the air first and was soon 300' over launch and gaining. Hmmm...
Rick launched next and, after a number of passes, started climbing.
Bev was the only one who forward launched and she did so beautifully - right into a nice fat thermal that she proceeded to put some smooth S-turns in, slowly but surely getting up close to where Rick and Lee were flying around high above. Way to go Bev!
I drove down to pick up Chris and K-ris and, by the time we got back to West launch, the thermals had started rolling in much stronger forcing us to wait for lulls. K-ris went first and let out a yell as he got lifted up over launch right away! It wasn't looking good for Chris though, and we almost decided to pack it in when a perfect lull arrived, and boom - he was off!